Healthy children need to follow a nutritious diet. Too much fast and sugary food only leads to bad eating habits that follow kids into adulthood and often create chronic medical conditions. Read on to learn how you can maintain proper nutritional habits for your child, and contact Surfside Pediatrics in Ventura, CA, if you have any further questions.
Importance of Good Nutrition for Your Child
Making sure that your children eat a balanced diet has a multitude of benefits. Good nutrition helps kids:
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Avoid chronic medical conditions like high blood pressure and diabetes
- Experience normal, physical development
- Avoid cognitive and motor development delays
- prevent depression, anxiety, and ADHD
- Improve their moods
How to Improve Your Child's Nutrition
There are many things you can do to improve your child's nutrition. Ask your Ventura, CA, pediatrician to provide you with ideas, and consider the tips below:
- Serve as a good role model by eating a healthy diet and exercising. Kids will more likely follow your example. In contrast, if you spend most of your evenings eating junk food and watching TV, your child will emulate your bad habits.
- Serve your child breakfast each morning. It jumpstarts the metabolism and provides kids with the energy they need to face the day.
- Avoid processed foods as much as you can. For example, instead of handing your kids a cup of applesauce, hand them an apple instead. While it may not be possible to avoid all processed food, read product labels before you buy something. If one of the ingredients is a word you can't pronounce, try to find another item that has more natural ingredients.
Speak With a Pediatrician
Helping your child eat a nutritious diet lays the foundation for a healthy lifestyle as an adult, and aids in cognitive and physical development. If you would like more information on the topic, contact Surfside Pediatrics in Ventura, CA, at 805-643-7500 to speak with a pediatrician.